The Disabled Rehabilitation Center Nepal (DRC Nepal) is a home for 26 children*) with an illness and/or physical and sometimes intellectual disability and/or living in remote areas without facilities. The home is located in Kathmandu’s suburb of Gorkana at the foot of a hill and on the banks of the Bagmati River.
The DRC Nepal is home to children aged 4 to 17 years. Seventy percent of the children have a physical disability and there are also some with (also) a mental disability. The rest of them have a background of poverty and/or difficult social conditions. Integration is the key.
Established in 2002, the Disabled Rehabilitation Centre Nepal is a non-profit, non-governmental humanitarian organization registered with the District Administration Office in Kathmandu, Nepal (Registration No: 856/2000) and affiliated with the Social Welfare Council and National Federation of Disabled Nepal.
*) Before corona there were 55 children in the DRC; the reduction has been imposed by the government in the context of the fight against the coronavirus. The number of children is expected to increase further in the course of 2022.
This is what there is in the DRC…
- There are 3 toilets and 2 hot showers (thanks to the solar system 4 Smiling Faces realised) for 55 children and four staff
- There are 4 sleeping rooms
- On the ground floor there is a big veranda that also serves as a classroom, hang out space, tv room during summer and winter
- On the ground floor there is also the excersise/study room (realised by 4 Smiling Faces)
- There is a fully adapted bathroom that is safe to use for children with all kinds of disabilities (realised by 4 Smiling Faces)
- There is a fully adapted kitchen where everybody can learn how to cook (realised by 4 Smiling Faces)
- In the sleeping quarters there is not enough space for separate beds for everyone. So many share, which is common practice in Nepal
- Most children have a bag or a small box for their personal stuff
- The DRC Nepal is a single brick building with no heating
The philosophy of the center is integration. Both children with and without physical disabilities learn that all men are equal. This is a necessary lesson to teach in the Nepalese society, where people with disabilities, in general, are not treated/supported well. It is therefore important that both groups live together so they can see and experience this for themselves.
The non-disabled children in the DRC have a difficult background of poverty, social conditions (for example one-parent families, neglect), or come from very remote areas. Their families are not able to take proper care of them. Most children go home once a year, but some children have been disowned by their families because of their disabilities.
It is remarkable to see how self-reliant the children are. They can practically do everything themselves and if that does not work, they help each other. Without complaining.
The DRC children spend most of their free time chatting, studying, and/or playing on their beds, on the veranda, or on a nearby field. That’s fine when the weather is nice. But when it is cold in winter or during the monsoon it is less fun. There is no heating in the DRC.
With our support of the DRC, 4 Smiling Faces contributes to the realization of the United Nations (UN) SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals).
- Gorkana, Kathmandu, Nepal
|2016||Windows & doors|
|2015||Repairing solar system|
|2015||Support building school|
|2014||Education & training|
|2013||Repair & maintanance|
|2012||Gate & paving|
|2012||Mosquito screens & matrasses|
|1||Snack, just because we can||
1 per child (for 125 children)
1 glass per child (for 125 children)
New formal and informal schooluniform and shoes
|6||Set of new clothes and shoes||
|8||Hospitalbed with matras||
Repair/replace mosquito screens and safety bars
Anual supply of hygiene materials, panties, bra’s, asperines and other girl things, so that they never ever have to do without.
|11||1year supply of (orthopeadic) materials||
Wheelchairs, protheses, grippers, wall mounts, special drinking cups, shower chairs, mattress protectors that are resistant to urine and more such items
|€ 2500 tot 5000|